Monday, May 7, 2012

Flowers in a desert

Hi y'all :)

Over the years, I have been desperately trying to find my blogging groove with SouthernLikeThat. I love the title, I love some of what I did with it. The thing is, I just couldn't bring myself to consistency. As much as I tried to stick to it, I have found myself needing a clean slate. Maybe if I get away from what's not working, I will find something that does.

Lately, I have found myself really enjoying the song "In a Big Country" by Big Country. So many of the lyrics stick out to me, but most importantly is "I'm not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime."

A few months ago, a dear friend basically chewed me out for wanting to live in Auburn. He didn't think I had good friends, he thought the dating pool was non-existent, he accused me of hanging onto someone things were not going to work out with, so on, so forth. I will totally admit, when I first decided to move to Auburn a few years ago, it seemed like a really good idea at the time. As the years have worn on, it has become evident it wasn't the greatest decision ever, but it works for me enough.

I absolutely can not stand being in Birmingham. I love my family, I love my friends, it's where my doctors are, the food selections are plentiful and delicious, I have a social life. But all of that is not worth the day-to-day dealing with people who don't know you. For the most part, people in Birmingham are quite rude and selfish.

Now, Auburn doesn't have the family, and it doesn't have all the friends, and I only have an acupuncture doctor, but it has fresh air and nice people and it only takes around ten or fifteen minutes to get anywhere. I also have about the most eclectic group of friends down here than I ever had. The dating pool is practically non-existent, but that's what dating websites and going back to Birmingham are for.

Also, when I decided to move to Auburn, I was under the impression that after I had surgery, my body would be on the mend. Apparently, not. (More on that later ...)

I was going through a lot then, and I am going through a lot now, and it is time to share my story and see how my flowers grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment